Kat Flanders studied abroad in summer 2022 through Lafayette’s faculty-led From Plate to Plate: The Geology and Agriculture of Food in Italy program, and again in spring 2024 through Syracuse University Florence. She received the Gilman scholarship for her spring semester abroad, and as a Gilman scholar, completed a follow-on service project about her international experiences.

I’ve known since high school that I wanted to study internationally. On college tours, I would always ask about opportunities abroad. Two summers ago, I did a three-week trip through Lafayette to Italy, where we learned about its geology, food, and agriculture, hiked volcanos, went on a boat tour, tasted wine and cheese, and more. When I was researching my semester-long experience, Italy was a no-brainer, especially Florence; its enrichment of art, culture, history, food, and beauty, all in the grasp of a walkable city, completely captivated me. One of my biggest stressors, however, was costs; how would I finance an entire semester abroad?

I come from a middle-class family with high financial need and knew the importance of starting my financing journey early. Scholarships instantly came to mind when thinking about affording study abroad. While I applied for many scholarships, one of the main ones was the U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, a program that offers funding to undergraduate Pell Grant recipients who may not get the chance to participate otherwise due to financial struggles. In addition to providing up to $5,000 for a semester and up to $10,000 for the year, the Gilman program also ensures skills and resources for national security. What stuck out to me when further reviewing this scholarship was the importance placed on expanding the number of people who get to study internationally, therefore also increasing the important skills of representing American culture and values, building connections, and becoming our future leaders.

Through the generosity of the Gilman scholarship, I was able to not only fund myself in Florence – getting to enjoy what felt like all of the pasta in the world – but also travel all over Italy and Europe; Pisa, Siena, Venice, Rome, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, and Nice! I was able to find a balance between exploring and becoming culturally situated in Florence, whether that was attending less visited museums or finding my favorite hole in the wall, yet still getting to have fun traveling and seeing some of the most beautiful places in Europe! I created a custom Google map to outline some of my favorite abroad adventures, from site visits for my classes to visiting the Heineken museum in Amsterdam, and eating some of the best Chinese food I’ve ever had!

The Gilman scholarship’s generous award was more than just financial support; my abroad program helped develop my cultural understanding and experiences. I took a Mapping Italy course, which educated me on the cultural differences between Italians and Americans and how to appropriately work through culture shock. I was able to interact with local Italians through my Italian 101 course. We visited a farmer’s market where we practiced asking questions and ordering items in Italian, allowing us to have fun and informed conversations with locals. In addition, we worked conversationally with local high school students, where they got to practice their English and we got to practice our Italian. On my own, I formed a personal relationship with my favorite cafe. This small shop was right across the street from my apartment and was my go-to for coffee and croissants; the owners and I got to know each other well and formed a positive bond. One of the most pivotal aspects of the Gilman program is to nurture and enforce mutual understanding between citizens of the U.S. and abroad. Because of this, I was able to consciously contribute to a local Italian community and build meaningful connections.

I genuinely do not know how I would’ve gone abroad without the Gilman program. Other scholarships and savings helped, but Gilman is what allowed me to feel comfortable and safe, and pursue all of my opportunities. My study abroad experience shaped the person I am today; I am much more independent, confident, and aware of my surroundings. I have developed a deeper cultural understanding of the world around me, and now consistently consider it in my everyday life and relationships. None of that would have happened without Gilman, and for that, I am forever grateful.

— Kat Flanders ’25, Gilman scholar and global ambassador