Julie Schramm ’24 is a neuroscience major who went abroad in spring 2023 through our affiliated Temple University, Japan Campus program. She answered a few questions reflecting on her time studying in Japan.

Why did you choose the study abroad program that you did?

I love Japanese cuisine and am fascinated by the culture, which I knew little about prior to traveling to Japan. It is a destination that I have wanted to go to since I was very young.

What was your favorite course abroad and why?

My favorite course was definitely Practical Japanese for Study Abroad Students. I loved how the professor, Sensei Matsuhashi, focused heavily on culture in addition to language skills. We went on two field trips: a sumo tournament in Tokyo and carrot harvesting in the countryside of Chiba prefecture followed by paper cutting, a traditional Japanese craft. We also engaged with the culture and language through film, readings, and a final digital photo story project (narrated in Japanese) showcasing our study abroad experience.

What was your favorite local food or drink abroad?

Definitely Tsukemen, or dipping noodles! It is different from traditional ramen in that the noodles are served separately from the broth.

What was the most important thing that you learned abroad?

The most important thing that I learned was how to be flexible and comfortable with change in a new country. Getting used to a new language, culture, transportation system, and school environment by myself and far away from home was not easy! However, it presented a challenge that allowed me to become more self-reliant and confident in myself. Being in a new environment also inspired curiosity and excitement, which was much needed!

In what ways did you interact with your local community and culture?

In addition to making friends with local students at my university who taught me a lot about the culture and daily life in Japan, I engaged by planning many excursions around Tokyo. I explored the music scene by going to a jazz bar and classical music concert, the art scene by visiting many museums, and the culinary scene by eating out at restaurants both near my dorm and around Tokyo. Additionally, I traveled to a few different cities in Japan: Kanazawa, Osaka, and Kyoto. Being able to compare and contrast the local cuisines, town layouts, histories, and even how locals interacted was truly unique!

What tips do you have for students about to study abroad or considering going abroad?

Cliché but… Go for it! Studying abroad is a great way to expand your cultural awareness, develop your sense of confidence and independence, and provide a change of scenery and routine. Also, don’t feel like you need to have a clear plan ahead of time; I went to Tokyo with little idea about what I wanted to see and where I wanted to travel. All of that takes form when you arrive! I can honestly say that my four months abroad were some of the best so far!

In what ways did you grow as an individual while studying abroad?

I definitely became more independent, as I navigated life on my own in a different country for four months (with a 13-hour time difference from home!). I also became more comfortable with going on solo outings. I made a big effort to fill my days with activities and maximize the limited time that I had in Japan. I think that I also grew more comfortable with acclimating to change. While it was a bit daunting to arrive in a country where everything was new, successfully adjusting to the many lifestyle and cultural differences gave me self-confidence and the reassurance that I could do this again, in another country.

What is your most cherished memory of your abroad experience?

Hanging out with the deer in Nara. And visiting the many surrounding temples, especially Todaiji.

Studying abroad is a great way to expand your cultural awareness, develop your sense of confidence and independence, and provide a change of scenery and routine.

Blonde girl with glasses kneeling next to Japanese deer in Nara Park.

More From Study Abroad Student Stories